Common Industry Terms

Gutters: a narrow trough or duct which collects rainwater from the roof of a building and diverts it away from the structure, typically into a drain.
Downspout: a vertical, enclosed pipe which is attached to the side of the home. It has one opening at the top and another at the bottom, carrying rainwater from the gutter to the ground (or a drain).
Drop Outlet: a hole (formed by pieces of the gutter) that the water from the gutters travels through to wash travel through the downspout and away from your home
Elbow:  a bent piece of pipe which goes on the end of a downspout for directing the flow of water
End Cap: the fitting or flat piece located at the end of a gutter section and closes off that section
Fascia: a type of trim that runs horizontally along the roof’s eaves, providing a base for attaching the gutters (also called the fascia board)
Gauge: the thickness of a gutter
Gutters: the horizontal pieces of your draining system connected to the edge of the roof
Hanger: Metal bracket installed on fascia to hold up a horizontal section of gutter
Leader: Any pipe that carries the water from the gutter to the ground, such as a downspout
Splash Block: Plastic or concrete surface put under a downspout to direct water away from the house
Strap: Flat hangers that are nailed into the side of the house to hold the downspout in place


Call us today at 843-547-1035!